Writing and publishing stories online can be a great way to earn some extra income in your spare time. With the rise of self-publishing platforms and opportunities to write for websites, blogs, magazines, and more, there are several options for making money with your writing skills. In this article, we will guide you on How To Earn Money By Writing Stories Online with a complete step-by-step guide.
Table of Contents
Get Started to Writing Stories Online With Freelance Writing
One of the easiest ways to start earning by writing stories online is through freelance writing. There are many websites you can join to find freelance writing jobs that pay per article or per word. Some popular sites include:
- Upwork – Lists all types of freelance jobs, including writing gigs. You can create a profile and apply for writing projects that match your skills.
- Fiverr – Freelancers offer services starting at $5. You can list your story-writing service here.
- Contena – Specialized platform for freelance writing jobs. Browse open assignments and claim the ones you want to complete.
- ProBlogger – Job board with blogging and writing jobs posted by websites looking to guest post.
- Freelancer – Global freelance services marketplace with writing and content creation jobs.
When applying for assignments, carefully review the job posting and rate of pay. Make sure your skills and available time match the client’s needs. Having writing samples ready will make your applications more competitive.
Additionally, if you have the talent to write stories and Make Money Using ChatGPT, you can showcase this unique skill to potential clients, offering a compelling edge in the competitive world of freelance writing.
Write Stories For Revenue Sharing Sites
Another option is writing stories for websites that share advertising revenue with contributors. These platforms allow you to earn passive income from the page views your published stories receive.
Some top revenue-sharing publishing sites include:
- Medium – Earn based on “claps” from readers. The more engagement your stories get, the more you can monetize them.
- Vocal – Earn per view on your original fiction stories, poems, articles and more.
- Wattpad – Share your stories and get paid through their ad system. Popular writers can also get sponsored content deals.
- Quotev – Publish fan fiction stories and earn from impressions. Can also earn by entering writing contests.
When writing for these websites, focus on producing high-quality Stories, and engaging content that builds up a loyal following of readers. Use relevant keywords and optimize your titles/descriptions to give your stories the best chance of being discovered. Additionally, for improved online security and privacy, you may consider using services like Surfshark ChatGPT to protect your data and enhance your browsing experience.
Self-Publish Your Stories As Ebooks
If you have ideas for longer stories like novellas or novels, self-publishing as ebooks can be quite lucrative. You can earn royalties of up to 70% on each ebook sale depending on the platform. Here’s how it works:
- Draft your complete story manuscript.
- Edit, proofread, and format it for ebook publishing. Add eye-catching cover art.
- Upload your ebook to platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, Draft2Digital, Smashwords, etc.
- Choose competitive pricing and publishing options. Enroll in their distribution programs.
- Market your ebook through social media, your website, promotions, etc.
The more visibility your ebook gets, the more sales you can generate. Expanding your catalog with several ebooks can really add up over time. You can publish ebook series or write in popular niche genres to increase earning potential.
Write Custom Stories For Clients
Offering custom story-writing services is another lucrative option. You can promote your skills on freelancing platforms like those mentioned above or on your own website.
Some types of custom story projects you can take on include:
- Short stories for gifts and occasions
- Personalized children’s stories
- Fiction stories featuring a client’s characters/world
- Adaptations of personal anecdotes and memoirs
- Company projects like stories for ad campaigns or branded content
Make sure to clearly communicate your rates, process and policies upfront. Drafting a contract for custom orders is wise to protect your rights. Handling special requests and delivering exactly what clients want will help you get positive reviews and repeat business.
Join Affiliate Programs
If you have a website, blog or social media following related to writing, you can earn commissions by joining affiliate programs. For example, you can add affiliate links for relevant writing services, tools, or products and earn a percentage of any sales you drive. Look for affiliate programs from sites like:
- Amazon Associates – Earn commission from book sales when you link to titles mentioned in your stories or writing guides.
- Writing software and apps like Scrivener, Grammarly
- Online writing courses and learning platforms like Udemy, Skillshare
- Publishing services like Amazon Kindle, IngramSpark, Reedsy
Affiliate earnings provide a nice passive income stream in addition to the money your stories themselves generate. Just make sure to disclose your affiliate relationships clearly.
Increase Your Income Over Time
Here are some tips to steadily increase your earnings from writing stories online:
- Build a diverse content portfolio on multiple platforms and formats
- Focus on improving your writing skills and expanding your niche topics
- Gain a following by consistently producing engaging stories
- Promote your writing through social media, networking, guest posts and more
- Scale up your rates and services as you gain more experience and reviews
- Leverage successful stories by adapting them into new formats like audiobooks
- Partner with other writers and influencers to widen your reach
Diversifying your income streams and reinvesting profits into your writing business will maximize your long-term earning potential.
What Types Of Stories Are Best For Earning Online Income?
Genre fiction such as romance, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and horror have loyal readerships. Non-fiction topics like self-help, personal finance, and hobby/craft instructions also perform well.
Do You Need Any Qualifications To Earn From Writing Online?
No specific degrees or certifications are required. Strong writing skills and samples are essential. Relevant niche knowledge helps. As you build experience, a portfolio website and testimonials can demonstrate your skills.
How Can I Promote My Stories And Gain More Readers?
Leverage social media, post on relevant forums, get featured on other sites, run promotions and giveaways, build email lists, network with influencers, optimize search visibility, and scale up your content output.
Earning income through your creative story writing is an attainable goal with the right strategy. By diversifying where and how you publish stories, honing your craft, and expanding your readership, you can steadily monetize doing what you love.
Start small by taking on freelance writing gigs or publishing to revenue-sharing sites. Build up your portfolio and skills before branching into ebooks or custom orders. With persistence and consistency, writing stories online can become a lucrative endeavor.